Saturday, September 1, 2012

Warm up Penciling pt 2

Watched the Black Cat this morning...so I figure I'd draw up Boris Karloff as Hjalmar Poelzig. Again, just a warm up piece to get me back into doing not so cartoony stuff (I've been doodling kid friendly stuff for the last 8 months). Again, using the Mignola principle...you either put the heavy blacks in the foreground or the background. The background will just end up being a flat color with a lightened portion to simulate the light being cast from the right side. I went a little more towards realism for this one...well...realism for me anyway. This one is definitely more like the style I used for Midnight Circus and the Syndicate headshots. 

On a side note, I really miss doing NPC headshots. From about 2001-2004 it was my big artistic thing that I did on a lot of White Wolf books. And to be honest, I still feel like some of my best work were the headshots I did.

Also to the left you will see the Dudes of Legend layout for page 1 of the comic. I did this about a year ago. Right now, there is just me, Brian, and Craig (wearing a Hawaiian shirt). There is a fourth guy, but I have no idea who that was supposed to be...maybe Vinnie...although the bloody butcher apron screams Chad Brown. He does like to murder Central American prostitutes.

I was gonna go Batman the Animated series styled with it, but it's looking more and more like I'm gonna go full balls Mignolient with it. Can't really say for sure though...just depends on the mood I'm in when I decide to pencil it.

Fun Fact: The cover to Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime is what really started my artistic style down the more graphic style road. 

Other Fun Fact: My portable drafting table kinda sucks. I miss having a full on drafting table for doing art. I also miss having a desk to do nothing but miniature painting on, but that is a rant for my other blog.

I am now going to go take a nap or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment